Thread: video games
View Single Post
Old 04.03.2019, 09:01 AM   #240
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Brought Ocarina of Time to my gf's since she's gonna be at work while I'm here alone chilling. At the Water Temple and considering just using a guide cause I cannot be bothered. It's still my fav game of all time though. Majora's Mask is much more on my level in terms of atmosphere and ideas but there's just something so... perfect about Ocarina of Time. It's kinda like Majora's Mask is EVOL or Sister but OOT is Daydream Nation heh.

Speaking of atmosphere though wwwwow, I forgot how good the Forest Temple is. You really get the feeling that something noble or aristocratic existed there hundreds of years ago and what once was is just barren concrete overrun with moss and mutated plants. The game's obsession with the passage of time manifests itself in more ways than one heh. It's a nice novelty to go outside into a little courtyard too. The Phantom Ganondorf boss is fun and the image of shooting Ganondorf coming out of the paintings is so cool. I lost a few bottled fairies to the volleyball part though, I just couldn't get the rhythm right for some reason. Now that I think about it, I think locking on actually makes it harder. Oh well. And the music!! As a kid I was always drawn to the melodic tunes and thought the music for the Adult Link dungeons was annoying, non-existent or too abstract but wow I was wrong, the Forest Temple music is absolutely perfect.

Can't wait to get to the Shadow Temple. I still remember the creepy faces, the guillotines, the bloody rooms with the chains and cuffs. Also the crazily patterned hallways where you could only find your way with the LENS OF TRUTH. Nintendo would not be so bold and intentionally off-putting in their design nowadays most likely. Looking forward to it. This playthrough has had me thinking about how much aesthetic experience factors into enjoyment of a game. Gameplay is the core thing but incredible games have their own set of aesthetic values, for me anyway (I'm a Castlevania and Metroid fan so yeah its probs obvious).

I have had Breath of the Wind sitting at home for so long now, unplayed. Just have not gotten around to starting it. I think you have just inspired me to get started on it tonight.

Great write-up on Ocarina, too. Damn, that really was such a perfect game...
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|